- “Our Mega Future” Yorke and Mid North Regional Forum (Presentation Papers)
- Have your say to improve road transport for primary production
- Community Recreation and Sport Facilities Program
- FUND MY IDEA - PORT PIRIE AND MID NORTH
- Food and Beverage Development Fund
- Simplify Day 2017 – Red Tape Reduction and Regulatory Reform
- Inquiry Into Issues Faced by South Australian Primary Producers in Retail Supply
- Understanding WeChat and UnionPay Workshop Vidoes
- Horizon Scholarships - For the Next Generation of Agricultural Leaders
- 2017 Business Missions Calendar
- Nominations Open for Celebration of Employment Awards
- Expanded $15m Fund Supporting our Regional Communities
- Tickets On Sale for 2014 Southern Flinders Business Employment & Training Awards!
- Long Awaited Confidence Boost for Port Pirie and Region
- Nominations Closing Soon for 2014 Southern Flinders Awards!
- Future Looks Bright for Regional SA, Jobs Creation & Regional Jobseekers
- Making Yorke and Mid North Low Carbon Investment Ready
- RDAYMN Food and Wine Tourism Development Fund Opens!
- Funding Bolsters Regional Growth & Development
- Southern Flinders Ranges: Still Open for Business!
- Launch of Goyder’s Line Sustainability Hub
- Get Some Yorke on Your Fork!
- Innovative Aged Care Training Program for Yorke and Mid North
- Mobile Black Spots - We Heard Your Call!
- Addressing the State of Our Regional Roads
- Where are our Region’s Mobile Black Spots?
- Regional Development Fund - Adding Value to Value Add
- Career Services Yorke and Mid North Launches
- Employing People with Disability in Our Region
- Yorke & Mid North Renewable Energy & Low Carbon Technologies Survey
- Northern and Yorke a Winner Against Climate Change
- 2012-2013 Yorke Peninsula Celebration of Employment Awards Presentation
- Nominations Now Open for Celebration of Employment Awards!
- RDAF Round 3 Success for Key Projects in the Yorke & Mid North
- Great Sponsorship Opportunity: 2013 Barista Competition
- RDAF Projects in Yorke and Mid North Move to Next Stage of Assessment
- Innovative Youth Engagement & Trade Program
- Collaboration on Flinders Ranges National Landscapes Program
- New Chair Appointed for SFRTA
- $2.7 Million for SA Regions Announced
- RDAF Rounds 3 & 4 Expressions of Interest Close Thursday 6 December
- Infrastructure Audit Highlights Our Region’s Potential
- $10 million Funding Boost for Key Project in the Yorke and Mid North
- Exciting New Plan for Clare Valley Tourism
- A Stronger Future for Port Pirie (2012-13 State Budget)
- Nominate for the Advantage SA Regional Awards!
- Get Your Tickets for the Southern Flinders Awards!
- Tourism Training is a Priority
- New Online Regional Map Resource Goes Live
- RDAYMN to Play Key Role in RDAF Round Two
- 2011 TAFE SA & Southern Flinders Ranges Barista Competition Results
- Climate Change Sector Agreement
- Expressions of Interest for Regional Development Australia Committees
- Rural Tertiary Hardship Fund Grants Now Open
- Southern Flinders Regional Tourism Authority Wins National Award
- Research Gets Pedal Power
- Come on the Tour Up Over!
- Celebrating Our Region’s Success
- Population & Skills Attraction
- Motorcross Champs Come To Crystal Brook
- The Delicious Southern Flinders Ranges
- Booleroo Centre – Better on a Bike!
Employing People with Disability in Our Region
December 3 each year marks International Day of People with Disability, a United Nations sanctioned day aimed at increasing public awareness, understanding and acceptance of persons with disability and in celebrating the achievements and contributions of people with disability.
This year is the 21st Anniversary of International Day of People with Disability and the overarching theme in 2013 is: ‘Break barriers and open doors: to realise an inclusive society for all’.
In the lead up to International Day of People with Disability, key organisations from across the region held a round table meeting to discuss increasing participation of people with a disability in training and employment. The meeting was held at the Port Pirie Yacht Club and was attended by 14 organisations including disability service providers, not-for-profit organisations, State and Australian Government departments. The meeting was aimed at identifying barriers that impacted on people with a disability participating in training or gaining work. The group looked at gaps in service delivery, exploring ways to engage employers and industry and developing a collaborative approach across the region.
The 2012 Survey of Disability, Ageing and Carers estimated that 4.2 million Australians or 18.5% of the populations has a disability. Disability can impact on a person’s ability to participate in the labour force with 53% of people aged between 15 and 64 years having lower participation and higher unemployment rates than people without a disability. On a local front, 85% of people who identified as having a disability in the Yorke and Mid-North State Government Region were not in the Labour Force. Of those people who reported having a disability 5% needed assistance with core activities and 91% did not need assistance. People with disability represent an untapped pool of talent for employers who are struggling with skills shortages and an ageing workforce.
Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North in partnership with the National Disability Coordination Officer Program and the State Government Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology are currently developing an action plan in response to feedback from the meeting with the aim of developing local initiatives to increase participation of people with a disability and the barriers faced in training and work.
Workforce Development Officer
Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North
Mobile: 0407 606 899
Phone: 1300 742 414