- “Our Mega Future” Yorke and Mid North Regional Forum (Presentation Papers)
- Have your say to improve road transport for primary production
- Community Recreation and Sport Facilities Program
- FUND MY IDEA - PORT PIRIE AND MID NORTH
- Food and Beverage Development Fund
- Simplify Day 2017 – Red Tape Reduction and Regulatory Reform
- Inquiry Into Issues Faced by South Australian Primary Producers in Retail Supply
- Understanding WeChat and UnionPay Workshop Vidoes
- Horizon Scholarships - For the Next Generation of Agricultural Leaders
- 2017 Business Missions Calendar
- Nominations Open for Celebration of Employment Awards
- Expanded $15m Fund Supporting our Regional Communities
- Tickets On Sale for 2014 Southern Flinders Business Employment & Training Awards!
- Long Awaited Confidence Boost for Port Pirie and Region
- Nominations Closing Soon for 2014 Southern Flinders Awards!
- Future Looks Bright for Regional SA, Jobs Creation & Regional Jobseekers
- Making Yorke and Mid North Low Carbon Investment Ready
- RDAYMN Food and Wine Tourism Development Fund Opens!
- Funding Bolsters Regional Growth & Development
- Southern Flinders Ranges: Still Open for Business!
- Launch of Goyder’s Line Sustainability Hub
- Get Some Yorke on Your Fork!
- Innovative Aged Care Training Program for Yorke and Mid North
- Mobile Black Spots - We Heard Your Call!
- Addressing the State of Our Regional Roads
- Where are our Region’s Mobile Black Spots?
- Regional Development Fund - Adding Value to Value Add
- Career Services Yorke and Mid North Launches
- Employing People with Disability in Our Region
- Yorke & Mid North Renewable Energy & Low Carbon Technologies Survey
- Northern and Yorke a Winner Against Climate Change
- 2012-2013 Yorke Peninsula Celebration of Employment Awards Presentation
- Nominations Now Open for Celebration of Employment Awards!
- RDAF Round 3 Success for Key Projects in the Yorke & Mid North
- Great Sponsorship Opportunity: 2013 Barista Competition
- RDAF Projects in Yorke and Mid North Move to Next Stage of Assessment
- Innovative Youth Engagement & Trade Program
- Collaboration on Flinders Ranges National Landscapes Program
- New Chair Appointed for SFRTA
- $2.7 Million for SA Regions Announced
- RDAF Rounds 3 & 4 Expressions of Interest Close Thursday 6 December
- Infrastructure Audit Highlights Our Region’s Potential
- $10 million Funding Boost for Key Project in the Yorke and Mid North
- Exciting New Plan for Clare Valley Tourism
- A Stronger Future for Port Pirie (2012-13 State Budget)
- Nominate for the Advantage SA Regional Awards!
- Get Your Tickets for the Southern Flinders Awards!
- Tourism Training is a Priority
- New Online Regional Map Resource Goes Live
- RDAYMN to Play Key Role in RDAF Round Two
- 2011 TAFE SA & Southern Flinders Ranges Barista Competition Results
- Climate Change Sector Agreement
- Expressions of Interest for Regional Development Australia Committees
- Rural Tertiary Hardship Fund Grants Now Open
- Southern Flinders Regional Tourism Authority Wins National Award
- Research Gets Pedal Power
- Come on the Tour Up Over!
- Celebrating Our Region’s Success
- Population & Skills Attraction
- Motorcross Champs Come To Crystal Brook
- The Delicious Southern Flinders Ranges
- Booleroo Centre – Better on a Bike!
Long Awaited Confidence Boost for Port Pirie and Region
The recent announcement by Nyrstar and the South Australian Government marks a remarkable milestone in the history of Port Pirie’s Nyrstar Smelter which produces lead, zinc, copper, silver, gold and sulphuric acid. Now confirmed, the $514 million Port Pirie Transformation Project will deliver an innovative and sustainable solution to the current environmental and technical challenges facing the Nyrstar Port Pirie operation.
Friday’s announcement by Nyrstar and the South Australian Government marks a remarkable milestone in the history of Port Pirie’s Nyrstar Smelter which produces lead, zinc, copper, silver, gold and sulphuric acid. Now confirmed, the $514 million Port Pirie Transformation Project will deliver an innovative and sustainable solution to the current environmental and technical challenges facing the Nyrstar Port Pirie operation. When commissioned the new facility is expected to have an operating life in excess of 30 years.
Nyrstar is Port Pirie’s major employer,directly employing around 700 people plus 130 full-time equivalent contractors. Nyrstar also indirectly supports around 2,500 jobs in the region and contributes $1.6 billion to South Australia’s economic output including $755 million of exports making it the most significant private sector contributor to the community and the region and a substantial contributor to the State’s economic output.
Nyrstar’s strategic solutions involve transforming its Port Pirie operations away from that of a primary lead smelter into a highly flexible poly-metallic processing and recovery facility. The project will also deliver a significant improvement in environmental performance and community health by reducing lead-in-air, dust and sulphur dioxide emissions.
Kelly-Anne Saffin, CEO of Regional Development Australia Yorke & Mid North (RDAYMN) congratulates the Board of Nyrstar and the local management team on their successful navigation of the delicate process to secure the long term future of Port Pirie’s major employer.
“For more than a century the Port Pirie Smelter has been the keystone of South Australia’s first provincial city’s economy. This injection of confidence for the people of the region is a testament to the many key players.”
Ms Saffin wishes to acknowledge the tireless work carried out by Nyrstar, Premier Jay Weatherill, Geoff Brock MP, Member for Frome, Rowan Ramsey, Member for Grey, the Transformation Task Force, Minister Koutsantonis and Minister Kenyon along with Mayor Brenton Vanstone of the Port Pirie Regional Council.
“This project, which has been championed by many, received bi-partisan support from the outset and is now set to deliver an environmentally and economically viable future for Port Pirie,” she added.
CEO, Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North
Phone: 0417 872 015